What exactly are the types of coverage included in a standard personal auto policy?

Bodily injury liability comes into play when your car is involved in an accident that causes the injury or death of another person. This type of liability pays for medical expenses, legal expenses and judgments against you.

If you or your vehicles cause damage to the property of others, property damage liability is the relevant coverage. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/IUM) liability covers the costs that are accrued when damage or injury is caused by a hit-and-run driver, as well as the uninsured or underinsured.

Medical payments cover the medical bills that are accrued by you and your passengers in the aftermath of an accident, no matter who is at fault. Collision coverage requires the payment of a deductible, but does cover damages inflicted upon your vehicle during a collision, regardless of who is responsible.

Comprehensive physical damage coverage requires a deductible, but will only pay the car's worth before the damage was sustained. It comes into effect when damage is inflicted upon your car that is not the result of an auto accident, but rather due to incidents like natural disasters, fire, hail, vandalism theft or hitting a deer, among other occurrences.

Bruce Matthews

C. Bruce Matthews, CWM®, CTEP®
Founder Of Truoptions

With over 25 years of
experience in aiding North
Carolinians, Bruce Matthews
is the choice as a
knowledgeable partner
to help you understand
your insurance and
financial options.