I'm renting an apartment. Will my landlord's insurance cover my belongings if the building burns down?

The building's owner is responsible for any perils that befall the property if you rent an apartment or house. However, if your personal belongings are destroyed in a fire or some other incident, it's your loss—unless you have renter's insurance.

Serving as a kind of homeowner's policy for non-homeowners, renter's insurance includes most of the same provisions of a basic homeowner's policy—except for coverage of the home itself. This type of policy covers your personal belongings against destruction or theft, up to certain limits. Renter's insurance also protects you against claims of liability should you cause injury to a person or property.

Bruce Matthews

C. Bruce Matthews, CWM®, CTEP®
Founder Of Truoptions

With over 25 years of
experience in aiding North
Carolinians, Bruce Matthews
is the choice as a
knowledgeable partner
to help you understand
your insurance and
financial options.